Another season of Toronto Fashion Week has come and gone! It was the 4th season that I have worked with the Maybelline team and it now runs like a well-oiled machine! Grace Lee is the Lead Makeup Artist. She meets with all the clothing designers prior to the week and creates the fabulous makeup looks that will be seen at each show. Then the Maybelline team which is made up of 15 fantastic artists are given a demo by Grace so we know exactly how to execute the looks.
The Fashion Week Tents are located right in downtown Toronto at David Pecaut Square. Over 5 days there are 30 shows and just as many makeup looks so needless to say we need to hustle! These are my 5 favorite makeup trends that were seen on the Toronto runway for Spring 2014:
- Big Bushy Brows-it got to the point where we kicknamed the brow ‘The Grace Lee Brow’ because it was an element of so many of the shows. Think of Broke Shields’ or Madonna’s brows in the 80s but a little more tamed and groomed. These gorgeous full brows were seen in the Joe Fresh and Pink Tartan shows.
So ladies if you want to be on-trend for spring next year put those tweezers down now and grow out your brows for a gorgeous fuller look!
- Fresh, Dewy, Glowing Skin –I don’t think healthy, flawless looking skin will ever go out of style. It was very rare this season if we did a completely matte face. Almost every look called for a little bit of a glow to the high planes of the cheeks. It looks great in person and even more stunning on the runway with all the lights hitting the face. Believe it or not we mainly used Clear Baby Lips from Maybelline (yes a lip balm on the cheeks) mixed with a pigment called Barely Brazen. Here is a clip of Grace showing how to achieve this look:
The good thing is, this makeup trend is an easy look to achieve because we all have a lip balm laying around, right? You can double it to not only moisturize your lips but also to give you that glowing highlight on your cheeks!
- Liquid Lined Eyes-Liquid liner is always a great way to define the eyes and you don’t need to do a super thick line to get this effect. Maybelline has 2 products that helped us achieve this look backstage, Gel Liner and the Master Precise Ink pen liner.
In the Triarchy Show we showcased a double-winged liner that gave a slight twist to a traditional winged eye.
I loved this look so much I recreated a softer version on myself the next day!
- Sculpted Faces-Thanks to Kim Kardashian most of us are aware of the magic of highlighting and contouring a face to really make your features pop. This was a trend seen this season. We sculpted the model’s faces and used minimal colour products. This application was seen at the Soia & Kyo and Caitlin Power shows but each designer had a different take on the sculpted trend. For Soia & Kyo we relied on warm darker skin tones to sculpt the models features. We used the new Fit Me! Foundation Sticks in a darker shade then the model’s natural skin tone. The effect made them look like they had a perfect sun-kissed tan.
For the Caitlin Power show we used cooler tones to sculpt the model’s faces.
The Maybelline product we used was a grey toned colour called Tough as Taupe Color Tattoo. I think it made the models look hollowed out but in a really pretty way!
- Sunset Inspired Ombre-Although this look was only showcased in the Melissa Nepton show its one that was hard to miss. This was definitely the most colourful makeup look of the season and it was beautifully executed. We used a combo of Maybelline’s Color Tattoos in Bold Gold and Fierce & Tangy and their Pigments in Wild Gold and Pink Rebel.
Do you love this look but you’re scared the runway version will make people look at you as though you face-planted into an eyeshadow display??? Here is an example of a more toned down version that you could comfortably rock this spring:And there you have you it! If you didn’t get a chance to see the shows you now have a pretty good synopsis of what to expect in terms of makeup trends for this upcoming spring. Although winter hasn’t even come yet I’m already counting the days until I can sport some of these fantastic spring looks!